Why Advertise with the Tao Colorist Newsletter?
- Do you want to put your message in front of post-production professionals who consider color correction important?
- Do you want readers who notice your message because you support an independent newsletter run by professional colorists?
- How about a publication with amazing WEEKLY open and click-through rates? Meaning… your message is getting seen 40+ times a year.
Welcome to the Tao of Color Newsletter! We give you all of the above, plus:
- Metrics on our readers level of color correction savvy
- Consistent Unique Open rate averaging 50%
- Each unique open is averaging nearly 2 clicks per open
Our readers engage with our newsletter!
My feedback is, “Don’t Stop!” Brilliant newsletter, always filled with informative articles. Thank you for your contribution to our craft.”
– Blake B.
Who is reading your advertising?
Colorists, DPs, Finishing Editors – and their Assistants
Tao of Color is a niche brand catering to one segment of post-production video professionals: Colorists, Finishing Editors and a growing base of DPs. Everything the Tao does – newsletters, the blog, podcasts, free and paid training – is designed to expand this niche and help Colorists, Finishing Editors and DPs grow their careers and stay current on industry news, tips and workflows.
A Newsletter Published Weekly
On . . . (wait for it) . . . Sunday Mornings!
Who in their right mind publishes an industry newsletter on Sunday mornings (3am Eastern)?
- Someone who wants to cut through the industry clutter.
- Someone who counter-programs by ensuring the Newsletter covers all aspects of a career-oriented post-production professional – without overwhelming the reader with advertising.
That’s right – when most other newsletter and corporate communication has taken the day off… our newsletter is designed for a leisurely Sunday morning scan linking out to:
- Color grading-related tutorials
- Product reviews
- Hardware news
- Software update
- Career Advice
- And – of course – our Sunday Morning Fun(nies), plus a few other surprise features.
We guarantee 40+ newsletters per calendar year (we don’t deliver on US holiday weekends and we do take vacations). That’s 40+ opportunities a year (minimum) for your message to be seen by a select group of readers (in 2013 we delivered 49 Newsletters and in 2014 we delivered 45 Newsletters).
Other niche opportunities such as User Group meetings or physical monthly magazines just don’t compare!
“I can confirm that we are certainly seeing some traffic come our way from the Tao. I don’t know of any confirmed sales resulting from click throughs from your site/newsletter, but I have had a handful of people specifically thank me for supporting the Tao and I take that as a very good sign.”
– Bram Desmet, FSI, 6 months into his first year of advertising
Why the Newsletter?
The Tao Colorist Newsletter is TaoOfColor.com’s most visible, most trackable, most valuable property. As of April 2015 we have an average 50% Unique Open rate from 3,518 subscribers generating 6000+ unique impressions, monthly. AND our subscriber base is growing every month. Our readers are a niche, engaged audience that opens our email and clicks through our stories.
What Do Our Metrics Look Like?
Subscriber Rate and Growth
Our readership has grown nearly 700% since December 2010. And all of our growth is organic. No advertising. Just word of mouth (or word of Twitter). By the way, notice those Unsubscribed numbers. That’s a running tally – not a monthly burn rate. We are really psyched that these subscribers stay with us! And over half of those unsubscribes were initiated by us… trimming out recipients that aren’t interacting with the Newsletter.
All Metrics are current to April 20, 2015
Unique Opens and Unique Click-Throughs
We strive for engagement and experiment with different ways of presenting stories to help drive click-throughs. After all – we want readers that click! Then, when they’re ready for your message, they’ll click through to you.
But WHO Are Our Subscribers?
When and how do we get our information about our subscribers? Simple: On our main Newsletter page we ask them two questions when they sign up.
And they tell us! We’ve been collecting this data almost since the launch of the Tao Colorist Newsletter (we missed a few on the first day or so, a few sign up at our Newsletter Archive, and a few sign-up with our Lightbox Popover – hence, we currently have data on 80% of our subscribers).
Here are the two important pieces of information they provide at sign-up:
- Your Primary Platform: Mac or PC?
- Your preferred Color Grading Tool?
How do those answers break down?
- 75% are Mac-based
- 58% are post-production professionals working on Apple Color, Avid (across Media Composer, DS, and Symphony), DaVinci Resolve, or the catch-all for high-end systems – ‘Big Iron’.
(note: we recently started using a pop-over to drive subscriber growth which does not ask for any metrics – which accounts for the current 75% response rate)
The Tao Colorist Guarantee
We want you to feel comfortable advertising with us. Here’s our guarantee:
If we deliver less than 22 Newsletters in a calendar year – you get a full rebate!
If we deliver less than 40 Newsletters in a calendar year – you get a pro-rated rebate!
If we deliver more than 40 Newsletters in a calendar year – GOOD FOR YOU! You’ll get more than you paid for!
Our July 2015 – July 2016 goal is to deliver 45 Newsletters. Our 3-Year Average is 47 Newsletters. We have never delivered less than 42 Newsletters in a calendar year.
View a Sample Newsletter
Note: The Newsletter only accepts Text advertising with up to two links in the Ad Copy. Must be less than 35 words.
Newsletter, Yearly – $9,000 per Year (only
4 2 available)
- Each year, only (4) of these Yearly Buys are available. First come, first serve—established sponsors have right-of-first-refusal.
- The (4) positions positions rotate monthly, on the first issue each month.
- Quarterly, Semi-Annual or Annual payments only: We want advertisers interested in a long-term relationship with our readers. Therefore we do not offer a monthly payment model. All payments must be provided in full (5) business days before the start of the month of the Ad run. Payments after that time will be applied to the next month, which is when your ad run would begin. Continual late payment will result in being dropped as a sponsor.
Additional ‘Run Of Site’ Bonuses
The Yearly Buy also gets you the following Bonuses:
- Rotating Ad Banner on the Tao of Color homepage + blog posts (shown only to guest visitors, paid subscribers won’t see advertising on the website).
- “Thank You” at the top of all audio podcasts recorded during the Ad Run. (the podcast is an ocassional feature)
- Where possible, we will feature your product or service in our educational training… helping our audience learn how to use your product
- The one thing we don’t do with our Sponsors… share email addresses. If you have a special offer for our readers, we’ll be happy to help write up some copy to help our readers understand the value you’re providing them. But we send the offer to them directly – as a promise to our readers we absolutely positively NEVER share our email database with anyone, anywhere.
- We must have access to your product to ensure it works as advertised. The Tao Newsletter is a personal publication and our personal credibility is on the line. We must feel confident in our product—and for that reason you must be willing to give long-term access to our product. If at some point we feel we can no longer put our names behind your product, we reserve the right to quietly drop a sponsor (and issue a pro-rated refund)